EQStar EQ3 is an equatorial mount drive upgrade kit designed to automate the control of the equatorial mount. It can be used in stand-alone mode and in a control mode using a computer or mobile device (phone, tablet, etc.).
On a PC, controller EQStar works with any astronomical programs that support ASCOM platform. For example, with planetarium Stellarium, Cartes de Ciel, StarCalc and others. Among the programs for astrophotography and guiding, controller EQStar supports MaximDL, Guidemaster, PHDGuiding and others. When you work with a PC, the controller EQStar can automatically find sky objects and track them (guiding), during the astro photography with long exposure. Also, when working with a PC, you must install EQMod ASCOM application.
Controlling the telescope with mobile devices allow you to automatically find sky objects. In the planetarium program at the mobile device Celestron or SynScan should be chosen as a control of the telescope, as well as a mount – German equatorial mount. The following programs for mobile devices works with controller EQStar: SkySafari, Orion StarSeek, DSOPlaner and others.
Сontroller EQStar communicate with PC via cable from the standard kit and with the mobile device via Wi-Fi.
Variety of platforms, drivers and applications on which EQStar controller is able to work with gives an opportunity to create a particularly comfortable conditions, depending of the tasks. For example, an astro photographer generally uses a laptop or PC to search, targeting and guiding the object during a long exposure. Such opportunities are mostly provided by the Windows software. But for a visual astronomy amateur it is much more convenient to control the mount with a compact mobile device, smartphone or tablet, rather than using a PC or laptop.
The controller EQStar supplied with a universal joystick for a manual control. It allow you to manage mount autonomously without a computer, smartphone or tablet.
- SkyWather EQ 3-2
- Celestron CG-4
- Other GoTo telescope control systems.
- Mount type: equatorial
- Type of stepper motor: bipolar
- Power supply: 12V, 3A, 5.5mm 2.1mm plug
- The center pin of the power connector is positive
- Smooth acceleration and braking of the stepper motor
- EQStar equatorial mount control unit x 1
- Joystick for a stand-alone mount control x 1
- DB9-USB cable for connection of EQStar to PC x 1
- Set of cables for the motors connection x 1
- Wi-Fi adapter for mount control from the mobile device x 1
- CD with software and user manual x 1
- Stepper motor unit for RA axis x 1
- Stepper motor unit for DEC axis x 1
- Bolts for mounting blocks with motors x 2
- Large pulleys x 2
- Small pulleys x 2
- Hexagon wrench x 3
For EQStarEQ3 description and installation instructions please check the EQStarEQ3 User Guide.